List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Use Pontoon for l10n
From:       Sveinn_í_Felli <sv1 () fellsnet ! is>
Date:       2019-04-03 8:47:20

Þann 2.4.2019 20:58, skrifaði Josep Ma. Ferrer:
> Missatge de Subin <subins2000@gmail.com> del dia dt., 2 d'abr. 2019 a les
> 19:59:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Thanks for all the inputs. I understand that migrating all the projects to
>> the tools I mentioned before won't work out. That leaves with Damned Lies.
>> And it's working out well for GNOME. How about using Damned Lies ?
>>
>> Some more additions I can think of in Damned Lies :
>>
>> * Add a button in Damned Lies besides the POT file download button to view
>> it in an online POT file viewer
>>
>> * Add a simple web UI to review translations
>>
>> Is there anything lacking in Damned Lies ?
>>

> Does Damned Lies support massive changes in the repositories (multiple
> files at once) in an easy way? Or changes must be done file by file
> (reserve, edit, proofreading, commit, ... for each file)? Can we skip some
> of the workflow steps [1] in specified uses?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Josep Ma. Ferrer
>
> [1] https://l10n.gnome.org/static/img/workflow-translation.png

I see Damned Lies more like an interface to manage commits to GNOME's
GitLab, sort of like Issues/MRs for non-GIT-proficient users. It is not
an interface for translations, and rather limited as a group
communications channel.

To push multiple project-wide changes you would use GIT directly - in
GNOME's case there seems to be no central place for translation files of
particular languages, they are scattered over individual components
(each application their own po-directory). To complicate even further
GNOME is supporting these days at least four branches; master, stable,
old stable, and old stable(2), plus some other specific branches.
This probably could be simplified by designing some other project
structure in GitLab, but I guess it's a huge undertaking.

So to answer Josep; to my knowledge, without GIT-access, you have to go
through all the hoops ;-(

@Subin: Instead of patching Damned Lies, I think we could evaluate
further systems like Weblate - and not forgetting that there may be
important differences between a hosted instance (which is quite common)
and your own instance.

Weblate has a wlc-client for command-line API interaction, not so far
derived from our current SVN-client.

Properly set up, WL has a hierarchy of Users, Reviewers and Managers
which can be tuned for different purposes. I have worked on a project
where an User could review all strings by anyone but himself, some users
could only make suggestions, and all strings had to be accepted by a
Manager to make it into production.

I don't know if Weblate scales well for huge projects, if it supports
multiple branches, if commits to a stable branch can be cherry-picked
into master/trunk, etc...

My only complaint about Weblate is that even though the translators
(User/Reviewer/Manager) can make comments to each other on a particular
string, communication between members of a language-team is not very
developed; you don't see a list over all the members, you don't see
their emails but have to use an internal messaging interface (clunky),
etc...

Just thoughts,

Sveinn í Felli