List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: String freeze exception needed for new (not changed) strings in bug fixes?
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2018-03-03 16:18:50

El divendres, 2 de marē de 2018, a les 0:10:38 CET, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
va escriure:
> Am Donnerstag, 1. März 2018, 23:52:36 CET schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > El dijous, 1 de marē de 2018, a les 19:01:47 CET, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
> > va
> >
> > escriure:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > my feeled knowledge about adding new strings in bug fixes after string
> > > freezed was challenged yesterday, and I could not find documentation
> > > answering it.
> >
> > > So:
> > Answering from the "KDE Applications" side.
> >
> > > A)
> > > If there is a bug fix which needs the addition of new i18ned strings
> > > (but
> > > not changing existing strings), should developers first reach out for an
> > > explicit okay from you translators?
> >
> > Yes, no string changes or nor new strings[*] are allowed in the stable
> > branch.
>
> Oh, I might have broken that rule before then. Should no longer happen then.
> > > B)
> > > Where is the documentation you expect developers to look at when it
> > > comes
> > > to questions around string freezes?
> >
> > I don't understand the question, you mean the release schedule?
>
> I meant a page with a clear complete definition of what "String freeze"
> means, with all exceptions and when they apply.

You're welcome to improve the " User visible strings are frozen: exceptions
need approval from kde-i18n-doc@kde.org." from
https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Applications/18.04_Release_Schedule
with the new information i gave you :)

> For people like me who are able to come up with free interpretations of
> short comments like "no string changes" (he, bug fix & new strings changes
> no string) :P

Come on you sure knew deep down that was wrong ;)

> WRT the mentioned review request:
> Pushed the new appdata and desktop files now only for master. No real bummer
> for Plasma/5.12, would have just been nice to have, but by that rule it is
> disqualified for stable.

You can ask for an exception if you think it's important, but if you say it's
ok, then let's just move on.

Cheers,
  Albert