List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Strange/wrong plural forms in kcoreaddons5_qt
From:       Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl () huftis ! org>
Date:       2018-01-25 19:43:09

Yuri Chornoivan skreiv 25. jan. 2018 20:21:
> Just a side note, I have absolutely the same problem with time displaying in
> RSIBreak widget in Ukrainian. Only the message "1 second" is displayed
> correctly (translated). Other messages are shown in English with "(s)" in each
> of them.

I have now tested KDE in Ukrainian, and here are my observations:

Ukrainian is really difficult to understand. :)

The translation system of the plural strings seem to work fine.
Strangely, I couldn't get RSIBreak in Ukrainian (even though I have a
/usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/rsibreak.mo file), but copying a large
file to a slow disk showed the different minutes and second strings
(година and хвилина etc.) changing in the file copying dialogue.

Before I tested Ukrainian, I thought the system wasn't working, as I had
tested the German translation (a language I reckoned was ~100%
translated) and observed several ‘Minute(n)' strings. But it turns out
that also the German translators have translated both the singular and
the plural version to a ‘maybe-singular-maybe-plural' string. That me
feel better, as I was obviously not the only confused by the
‘maybe-singular-maybe-plural' English source strings. :)

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer