List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Special license for ca,ca@valencia and uk?
From:       Sandro =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Knau=DF?= <sknauss () kde ! org>
Date:       2018-01-06 10:59:23

Hey,

> It does not look like a bug in Lokalize.
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Header-Entry.html
>
> The format is documented and gettext default:
> "FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL@ADDRESS>, YEAR"
>
> Before moving to some other format, I would check why the tools do not
> consider the proper format for gettext files.

yeah a valid point. I actually ask the authors of decopy about po files, yes
they have no special po file handling. But nevertheless maxy pointed out, that
there is a difference between copyright holder and authors. And all the tools
want to detect the copyright holders and not the authors. So not detecting the
authors are intended :D

So we need to clear, if the authors are also copyright holders or not. Some
translation teams make it explicit, that the team is copyright holder (Russian
team). As it is very common in sourcecode to be copyright holder, if you are
the author, I made a short circuit, that a author is also a copyright
holder...

But as others also mentioned, maybe we should discuss with FSFE, what they
suggest in terms of translations and copyright. As they already helped KDE to
create the FLA and they are lawyers in the opensource environment.

sandro

here the conversation with maxy:

El 2018-01-04 a las 18:24 +0100, Sandro Knauß escribió:
> I currently try to get KDE translations to use the same license for complete
> translations and there the issue came up, that decopy do not recognice the
> authors correctly for gettext (See kmail as example):
> https://sources.debian.org/src/kmail/4:17.08.3-2/debian/copyright/#L293
> Laurent is for sure not a copyright holder - he is the author of the
software,
> that's why his name is mentioned in the file.
> "This_file_is_part_of_KDE" is not a valid copyright holder, too ( but this
is
> a different issue here)

Detecting copyright assignments and author(s) and different problems, decopy
doesn't even try to look for the author(s), and I think that it shouldn't.

In particular for the file:
https://sources.debian.org/src/kmail/4:17.08.3-2/po/ca/
akonadi_followupreminder_agent.po/

decopy detects the lines:
 2 | # Copyright (C) 2014-2017 This_file_is_part_of_KDE
41 | msgid "Copyright (C) 2014-2017 Laurent Montel"
42 | msgstr "Copyright (C) 2014-2017 Laurent Montel"

As the copyright holders. Of course, the lines 41 and 42 are wrong, and decopy
could do with a specific parser for po files, but so far, that hasn't been
done.