List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translations in Kube, do we need ki18n?
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2017-07-19 10:56:37

On Tuesday, 2017-07-18, 21:18:15, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to start making the Kube codebase translatable soon, but I
> have one question.
>
> Do we really need ki18n and if so, why?

Not an expert but one thing is scriptability, which is used for example for
advanced plural handling.

Qt's plural handling only allows to specify fixed strings for certain numbers,
while scripting allows rules based on calculations.
E.g. same string for every multiple of a number or all values ending with a
certain number.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring