List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Fwd: org.kde.kexi.appdata.xml fix
From:       Matthias Klumpp <matthias () tenstral ! net>
Date:       2017-04-23 22:09:22

>> Jaroslaw Staniek ha scritto:
>>> Forwarding the question - is Galician a global exception in this case?
>>
>> This is not a kde-i18n-doc@ issue, but it's a discussion for the appstream
>> standard.
>>
>> Matthias, can you please shed some light on the issue below?
>
> Sorry for the late reply, Google threw this into the spam folder (and
> I rarely look there)
>
> The reason for not wanting a dot in the summary line is AFAIR purely a
> style issue. Even in English a terminating dot would actually be
> required, but people in layout/design at GNOME decided that
> terminating dots look weird in large lists, and if you compare a list
> with a lot of summaries with dots vs one without dots, the list
> without terminating dots looks indeed a bit nicer.
> That's why the validation emits an info-type hint.
>
> I hope I got the question corrently here :-)

Oh, and the other reason was: Usually summaries are not "real"
sentences - they usually are descriptive text pieces like "A beautiful
text-processor" which aren't terminated by a dot. That's why the hint
is of type info and not pedantic.

I think actually for any localized tag we shouldn't throw a validation
hint, as that is out of control of the original author of the file...
Or maybe only have a pedantic hint. I need to think about this a bit
more ^^

Cheers,
    Matthias