List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: FOSDEM feedback on KDE i18n
From:       Martin Schlander <martin.schlander () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-02-07 19:16:06

mandag den 6. februar 2017 23.20.07 CET skrev Albert Astals Cid:
> El dilluns, 6 de febrer de 2017, a les 12:57:31 CET, Jonathan Riddell va
>
> escriure:
> > I had three separate people comment to me at the KDE stall at FOSDEM
> > this year that they found KDE i18n difficult to approach.  The need to
> > work with .po files and use svn and the lack of easily discoverable
> > list of new works to update and reliance on mailing lists rather than
> > whatever the cool kids use these days they find hard to get enthused
> > about using.  Having a web system like Pootle was requested.
> >
> > This is just passing on visitor comments, I'm otherwise mostly
> > uninformed on the topic.
>
> My uninformed opinion is that people just use those as excuses, and they're
> not really interested in contributing.

The need to use svn only exists when there is no (other) coordinator. When a
coordinator exists, the non-coordinator translator just needs to 1) download a
file from l10n.kde.org 2) open in preferred editor 3) translate 4) e-mail
translation to coordinator

openSUSE set up a web based system based on software called 'Weblate'
(https://l10n.opensuse.org/) over the last year or so. This of course makes it
easier for new contributors to get started, but makes it a lot lot less
effective for experienced translators who no longer can mass download (svn up)
and mass commit (svn ci), and no longer can use the project view of Lokalize.
And for DA there hasn't been any new incoming translators (yet) to my
knowledge. I don't know if the same is true for other teams. Also this web
based system of "hit and run translators" makes it very difficult to have
consistency.

On the other hand, overall it still might be better to have the web based
system in the long run. I'm not quite sure.

Maybe a fairly easy place to start would be to provide a better minimalist,
cookbook type, step-by-step howto for each of the two cases - 1) an active
team/coordinator already exists, and 2) no active team exists. Because it
really isn't as difficult as it might seem.