List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: FOSDEM feedback on KDE i18n
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2017-02-07 8:54:44

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017, Vincent Pinon wrote:

> > My uninformed opinion is that people just use those as excuses, and they're
> > not really interested in contributing.
>
> The French guy blogged about this feedback among other discussions (in French):
> https://jibecfed.fedorapeople.org/blog/fin-du-fosdem-a-bruxelles-merci.html
> He is trying for some weeks to revive traduc.org (wide scope translation team),
> and had met Pootle people, maybe the reason why he was trying to make a connection?
>
> I must say that when I restarted Kdenlive French translation several years back,
> we had 1-day sprint with 2 other people on some online translation platform,
> and this had been super efficient to complete dozens of long help messages...
>
> I'm also overwhelmed with Krita translation, got some contribution offers,
> and people where quite upset with our process (+handling the merges was not so direct).
>
> I know every time this debate comes back the conclusion is the same,
> and have hard time every time to explain (and even remember) why :-\
>
> I'm personally happy with lokalize/pology/svn,
> but also sadly remark that French translation team is dying :-(

I would have to agree... I get approached all the time by people who want to help
translate Krita, and I've got a really hard time connecting to the KDE translation
system. Our current setup is not optimal when it comes to mobilizing willing
volunteers and dismissing that as "excuses" isn't going to fix it.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org