List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating keyboard layout names
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2017-01-23 23:27:29

El divendres, 20 de gener de 2017, a les 7:47:32 CET, Martin Gräßlin va
escriure:
> Hi localization team,

Hi

> I'm wondering how we can translate the keyboard layout names.
>
> to explain on Wayland we get the keyboard layout as an untranslated
> string from xkbcommon.
>
> E.g. in the case of layout "de" we get "German", in the case of "us" we
> get "English (us)".
> All layout names are English, which I find suboptimal. I would prefer to
> have them localized.
> E.g. it should say "Deutsch" for the "de" locale.
>
> My understanding is that xkbcommon gets the layout names also from
> another data source:
> the evdev.xml file installed on all systems.
>
> Can we somehow process this and generate translations?

We could, but we don't need to.

evdev.xml is part of xkeyboard-config

xkeyboard-config installs a translation named xkeyboard-config that contains
the translations of those files.

So you just need to call
   i18nd("xkeyboard-config", myVariable)
and it should work.