List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Strange character in ksysguard translation template
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-12-14 23:18:36

El diumenge, 11 de desembre de 2016, a les 17:28:24 CET, Lasse Liehu va
escriure:
> On 11 December 2016 at 14:49 Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl@huftis.org> wrote:
> > In the ksysguard.po(t) translation files, one of the strings contain a
> > strange character:
> >
> > msgid "1 process"
> > msgid_plural "%1 processesœ%1"
> >
> > I'm not sure if it's visible in this e-mail, but between ‘processes' and
> > ‘%1' in the msgid_plural string, there is a U+009C (‘string terminator')
> > character. In Lokalize, it's displayed as vertical bar inside a rectangle.
> >
> > Is this string terminator character supposed to be there? The whole
> > plural form looks suspect, with *two* ‘%1' placeholders.
>
> That is the separator for multi-length string in Qt, which means that the
> first string that fits into the UI will be used. Thus multi-length strings
> should be separated from longest to shortest. It is explained on
> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtquick-text.html#elide-prop but I have seen it
> work on QLabels (and in ksysguard) as well even though I could not find
> mention of it in QLabel's documentation.
>
> Actually, looking at source code of ksysguard (
> https://cgit.kde.org/ksysguard.git/tree/gui/ksysguard.cpp), string "1
> process" does not exist. It seems that extraction of that mesage is broken
> in such a way that the string is cut off at U+009C.

Yeah seems to be a bug in xgettext.

It complains about it

gui/ksysguard.cpp:366: invalid multibyte sequence

But I don't see what's wrong with it.

It seems it only likes the \xc2\x9c to be part of the second parameter.

Chusslove, you've had contact with the gettext author, can you send this his
way?

Cheers,
  Albert