List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Separating in-source translations from */messages into own */srcmessages (or similar)
From:       Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2016-06-17 10:30:00

On Friday 17 of June 2016 12:10:41 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PROBLEM: garbage po and mo files in packages
>
> currently many of the scripts used for creating release tarballs of KDE
> software accidentally also add those po files to the tarballs whose
> translations are already fed back directly into the sources by scripty (with
> data files like appdata, desktop, json, or mimetype.xml). So strings which
> will never be loaded from an external mo or qm catalog.
>
> Those po files then also end up in the binary packages as mo files given the
> generic handling of po files during builds. Do this to see how much of
> those unneeded mo files you might have yourself on your system:
>
> du -ch `find /usr/share/locale \
>     -name "*appdata.mo" -o \
>     -name "*mimetypes.mo" -o \
>     -name "desktop_*.mo" -o \
>     -name "json_*.mo"`
>
> which for me reports in total 43M.
>
> find ... | wc -l
>
> is 186 here.
>
> Problem is that many people are not aware of all the different data file
> types which scripty cares for, and i18n in general is more seen as "magic
> which just works (mostly)" (well, shows the great work of the KDE i18n team
> :) ). And the number of such file types is rising now and then, just all
> the different release scripts ("official" and home-grown) are not keeping
> up.

If someone writes a new release script, then the issues and requirements
should be known.

I still fail to see why we need tons of release scripts. Let's fix the 3 more
used (sysadmin/release-tools.git for Frameworks and Applications, releaseme
for Plasma and others, and create_tarball_kf5) and make sure that people are
using them instead of reinventing the wheel.

--
Luigi