Am 15.04.2016 16:53 schrieb Pino Toscano: > Hi, > > On Friday 15 April 2016 10:55:57 Frederik Schwarzer wrote: >> in kfilemetadata (git repo of the same name) there are messages like >> these: >> qDebug() << i18n("Plugin could not be converted to a WriterPlugin"); >> qDebug() << i18n("Plugin could not create instance") << pluginPath; >> >> Is it common to use qDebug() to bring messages to the user? I mean, >> can >> qDebug() not be disabled and then the user does not see the messages? >> Although these messages read rather technical, so maybe they are not >> meant for mere users and should be de-i18n'ed? > > qDebug/qWarning/etc messages should simply not translated, for few > reasons: > - with GUI-based applications, users won't simply see them unless > launching them from a console > - debug messages (depending on kdelibs/qt version, and API used) can be > enabled/disabled from outside the application, so they can be even > "missed" by users > - in general, using debug messages is a poor user feedback for GUI > applications > > So yes, please remove i18n() from the aforementioned debug messages. > This is what I usually do when reviewing strings in some > application/library. > > Thanks, I now removed the i18n() from all qdebug calls in kfilemetadata. Thanks for the info. Regards, Frederik