List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Renaming desktop_<module>_<program>.po file
From:       Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2016-04-10 23:21:58

Hi,

right now the name for files containing the translations of desktop files is:

desktop_<module>_<program>.po

Now,
- the <module> part can be inferred by the directory name (and even if we are
moving to a more flat structure, and this kind of information can be recorded
elsewhere, it will be available anyway and this is redundant);
- the <module> part is a (small) complication (at least for me) when a file is
moved around;
- Summit already migrated to the <program>.desktop.po format and the change
didn't lead to issues.

So the question is: are there any major blocker for implementing the change
from the current pattern to <program>.desktop.po?

I'm thinking about custom applications which uses the translations and that
relies on the patterns of the names. If I read correctly Summit could already
gather the files in the new format. Are there other users that need to be
fixed (support the current and the new format) before we can move on?

The only other big blocker for this are modules coming from SVN, where the
extraction should be fixed first to differentiate between subdirectories
(right now there is a big desktop_<module>.po file). But let's start...

Ciao
--
Luigi