List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english] handling of *.desktop files of plugins
From:       Thomas Eschenbacher <Thomas.Eschenbacher () gmx ! de>
Date:       2016-03-13 21:43:25

On 13.03.2016 11:24, Elvis Angelaccio wrote:
> [...]
> As far as I know the old .desktop files are not deprecated. But using
> the new json-based plugin system is recommended.

Well, I use the json files already, but not "directly".

Currently the flow of meta data is like this:
desktop.in -> desktop -> json -> moc -> .o -> kwaveplugin_*.so

So you recommend doing something like this?
json.in -> json -> moc -> ...

In that case I would be glad to get some example or reference
application which does this too. I tried this scheme, but it seems that
dependencies do not work properly, whenever I modify a json.in file, the
moc file is not rebuilt, I have to remove the moc files manually to get
the change in the plugin.

And how are then my json.in files found? I cannot see something like a
"ExtraJson.sh" script, as "ExtraDesktop.sh" for desktop files!?

> You can load this new type of plugins just using QPluginLoader, or
> KPluginLoader which is a tier-1 framework.
> Instead, if you use the old .desktop files you are forced to load the
> plugins with the KService framework (a tier 3 framework).
>
> The main advantage is that in the first case you can install your
> plugins in a private subfolder of the system plugin path. Then you can
> just tell KPluginLoader to load the plugins from that subfolder.
> [...]

Yes, that stuff works fine already, loading and installation is already
solved, my concern was about the translatable parts in the meta data,
which fields to use and which scripts to hack. Now I know that the only
field that has to be translated is the "Name=..." tag and that this one
is already found by the scripts, which already exist and are known to work.