List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: two exceptions for string freeze in Plasma
From:       Sebastian Kügler <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-03-09 16:24:56

On Wednesday, March 09, 2016 16:33:04 Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> That's pretty much the reason for wanting specific names like "Plasma
> Info Center".

It's not about Plasma, it shows info about distro, hardware, graphics, etc.=

It's pretty much a dumping ground with multiple vague use cases. Looking at=

the code, one thought I got was "this was probably written by someone who
thought 'ah, I can add this semi-useful feature in just half an hour' witho=
ut
thinking of long-term technical debt". Very much "just because we can", not=

very thought through as a whole.

> It's just something to keep in mind to not overdo it with generalizing
> names. For the particular case, I think "Info Center" is fine (there's
> no other tool named like this).

Indeed. My change was not trying to get a generalized policy implemented, b=
ut
to fix the wrong use of the KDE brand. We do have people telling us that
they'll happily use KDE to refer to the desktop because we don't even use i=
consistently ourselves. My change addresses this consistency issue.

> Please don't make the binary name generic too, though

I don't want to change the binary name, never considered that.

Can we please bury this tangent now? :)
--
sebas

Sebastian K=C3=BCgler    |    http://vizZzion.org    |     http://kde.org