List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Source of time zone translations for the digital clock
From:       Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl () huftis ! org>
Date:       2015-10-22 22:22:10

Den 22. okt. 2015 23:42, Albert Astals Cid skreiv:
> But I have noticed that in the actual digital clock settings dialogue,
> these strings appear translated *even* when they are not translated in
> plasma_applet_org.kde.plasma.digitalclock.pot.
> Can you attach a screenshot to make sure what you're talking about?

Sure. See the attached screenshot. This shows, for example ‘El Aaiún'
(english string: ‘El Aaiun'). But that string wasn't translated when I
installed KDE (October 4). Here's the corresponding translation file for
October 10:

https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-support/nn/summit/messages/kde-workspace/plasma_applet_org.kde.plasma.digitalclock.po?revision=1440301&view=markup

But the *string* ‘Africa/El_Aaiun' *was* translated into ‘"Afrika/El
Aaiún"' in frameworks/kdelibs4support.po at the time:

https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-support/nn/summit/messages/frameworks/kdelibs4support.po?revision=1440301&view=markup

> > The translations seems to be taken from kdelibs4support.po or
> > kdelibs4support.desktop.po. There are also additional information shown
> > in the timezone dialogue (for the digital clock) which isn't mentioned
> > at all in plasma_applet_org.kde.plasma.digitalclock.pot, but are listed
> > in kdelibs4support.pot.
> Again, can you be more precise, screenshot?

Again see the attached screenshot. This lists strings like
‘Vest-Amazonas' and ‘Western Australia – Eucla-området', which is not
found in plasma_applet_org.kde.plasma.digitalclock.po, but which are
found in frameworks/kdelibs4support.po.

> > But if so, why are they also duplicated in kdelibs4support.po and
> > kdelibs4support.desktop.po?
> Because you know it's kdelibs4support it has to have what kdelibs4 had.

But if the two kdelibs files already *have* all the strings, why
duplicate them in the translation file for the digital clock?

It seems both error prone and a waste of (translator) resources to have
all the names of ~all the countries in the world (about 250 strings) and
a large number of cities (about 400 strings) stored twice, i.e. in two
different files, which needs to be translated twice (they can't be
copied directly, since the format differs – in kdelibs4support.po all
cities are prefixed by their continent, while in
plasma_applet_org.kde.plasma.digitalclock.po, they have no prefix, and
in kdelibs4support.desktop.po all countries have a (not very
informative) msgctxt of ‘Name', while in
plasma_applet_org.kde.plasma.digitalclock.po they have no message context).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer

["digiclock-timezones.png" (image/png)]