List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: BOF with l10n / l18n team
From:       Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2015-06-27 22:13:34

Ovidiu-Florin BOGDAN ha scritto:
> Īn ziua de Sīm 27 Iun 2015, la 22:39:22, Luigi Toscano a scris:
>
>> Luigi Toscano ha scritto:

>> > This is a good idea: we did it in the last year, so I was kind of sure that we
>
>> > were going to do it this year as well :)

>> > I would say that we can start the discussion here before Akademy and then
>
>> > conclude it there.
>

> I want to present the what's the current way we do translations and how that
> would be grately improved if we would use a web interface tool to help us with
> that.
>

> In the spirit of open source I propose that we roll up our own Pootle server.
> With it we can still translate offline, but it will greatly ease the
> translation when you're online.

Let's talk about details then (this list is not the proper place), so moving
to kde-i18n-doc.

> The LibreOffice project, the Drupal Project, and many other Open Source
> projects use it. (I'm only saying this to show that it's a good and reliable tool)
>

> I'd like to talk more about this, but I have to prepare a presentation/report
> on this topic, to be more prepared on the matter. I hope to finish that for
> Akademy.
>

> I'll roll out a test pootle server in the next few days for the Kubuntu
> project, for the new documentation. This will give me more insight on how it
> needs to be set up, and what will the differences be if we will adopt this.
>

> There are many initiatives by local teams to use the Transifex platform for
> translation of the KDE projects. Although it's a great platform, it is a
> comercial proprietary product. Even if it offers free hosting for Open Source
> projects, I don't consider it reliable in the very long term.

Apart from the discussion on the local tools, Transifex (and many other
external tools) have a lot of problem with the spirit of Manifesto (not every
KDE contributor can automatically contribute). I agree that it's not the solution.

I see you didn't write "mandatory" so far, and that's at least a starting point.

>> Or better, on the kde-i18n-doc@ list.
>
> Last time I tried that WE got severly rejected.

So what do you think will discuss about it during Akademy? Different people?
So better start discussing it beforehand.

Who is "we" in this context?

Ciao
--
Luigi