List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: how to omit messages from translation in docbook ?
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2015-02-25 13:17:08

> [: Thomas Eschenbacher :]
> With this knowledge I changed my docbook document to use entities for non-
> translatable terms where possible. And I wrote a perl script that does
> some kind of "post processing" on the pot file that comes out from xml2pot
> , to remove all messages that start with &no-i18n-tag; (and some other
> messages that make no sense to translate). This should prevent my
> translators from having to translate hundreds of stupid messages...
>
> If someone knows about a more elegant solution => please tell me!

I think that it is not good to decide for translators what is non-
translatable. Because it is easy to go too far and declare non-translatable
something that someone will want to translate. Instead it is better to
*inform* translators what things in text are, so they can make decisions.
Though in this case (Docbook extraction with xml2po) there is also no
facility to inform translators...

If I were in your place, I would simply do nothing (no special marking, no
post-processing), and wait and check how often translators get it wrong. If
that causes you too much work, in writing to translators telling them about
errors, only then see what to do.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)