List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Kwave, translated screenshots
From:       Thomas Eschenbacher <Thomas.Eschenbacher () gmx ! de>
Date:       2015-02-20 5:37:52

Chusslove Illich wrote:
> [...] True, but this (automatic multi-lingual screenshots) is a
> fantastic development, and we should make every effort to
> explicitly support it on the side of translation infrastructure as
> well. So please come out with ideas.

just to avoid misunderstandings: the word "automatic" does not mean
that everything can be done in an unattended script (like skripty)
without X11 running. The workflow could go like this:

1. Kwave declares "string freeze"
2. translators finish the GUI translations
3. I fetch the *.po files from the KDE server
4. I run a batch file, under a special user account, which has proper
desktop
   settings (decorations, color scheme, font size etc...)
5. That batch iterates over all languages and lets kwave execute a script
   (like "kwave scripts/screenshots.kwave") which does the various
screenshots
   in the selected language.
6. After running kwave the screenshots are imported into the svn repo,
after
   shrinking the file size (like bin/import-screenshots.sh, does some
color
   reduction/dithering)
7. svn commit - and now the screenshots are available on the server

Of course there could be variations of this. I already have a section
in the handbook which describes the preconditions and settings for
making screenshots, so these steps could also be done by someone else
(e.g. a translator).

Another question is: are these screenshot files really needed on the
KDE server, are they involved in some other workflow that I did not
know, like for example "automatic pdf generation" or so? If nobody
else needs them we can safely remove them from the server, to save
some disk space and avoid unnecessary extra work for translators.

If they are needed, then the question for me is: who (as a person)
should then update these files? Is it me, in the role as a package
maintainer, or a translator?

> Here is one off the top of my head. The source doc/ directory can
> contain a file named automatic-screenshots with the list of file
> names. When populate-documentation.sh sees this file, instead of
> downloading the listed files, it will put instead of each an
> internal fixed small image. This image can be something like a
> black square inscribed with "screenshot will be automatically
> generated". Or, this internal fixed image could be instead
> overlayed on the actual screenshot, so that translators can both
> see the screenshot and cannot miss that it will be automatically
> generated. Or, to keep things very simple and rely just a bit on
> translators' prudence, do nothing automatically in
> populate-documentation.sh but communicate the concept of
> automatic-screenshots file, so that translators know what it is
> when they see it in the directory.

Ok, nice idea! Then each translator would see an image that tells him:
"do not translate this item".

But another aspect then is: what do I do with the dozens of images
that I created with my script? If I do not push them to the KDE
server, then we could also remove all screenshots from the KDE svn,
because then they are practically useless (in the sense of that they
cannot be used for production). But what if I push them back - then
they _replace_ the black squares you mentioned above -> and then we
are where we are now.

So I think the root of these questions is: how can I tell a
translator: "please don't waste time in translating this item"? (BTW:
an unsolved problem that I also have in the docbook)

One idea would be to put the images into a subdirectory (e.g.
"../no-i18n/"), where that additional directory part gets removed by
populate-documentation.sh when collecting stuff.

Or as already mentioned: put some kind of README file into the
directory that describes what should be done. That README file of
course should be duplicated over all languages (-> a job for scripty).

regards,
   Thomas