List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Scripty erros processing kwave repo
From:       Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier () ruhr-uni-bochum ! de>
Date:       2015-01-25 19:31:13

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:38:01 +0100
Burkhard Lück <lueck@hube-lueck.de> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 23. Januar 2015, 18:08:41 schrieben Sie:
> > From the word "scripty" I conclude that there is some script that
> > scans for translations. I found some kind of documentation on
> > techbase.kde.org today that tells that each repository should have
> > a "Messages.sh" script, but I cannot find any clue why an existing
> > "po" directory should be in the way???
> >
> Please read some relevant threads on kde-i18n-doc:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=141638473728866&w=2
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=141700741608249&w=2

Prompts me to give a small status update, on what I did, now. Perhaps
you'll find this to be a workable solution for you, too. (Read the above
two threads first, for background.)

So what I did for RKWard:
- Renamed po folder to i18n, and removed all .po and .pot files from it.
- Kept the CMakeLists.txt in i18n, however.
- In i18n/CMakeLists.txt, I added:

IF(EXISTS "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/po/")
# [...]
ELSE(EXISTS "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/po/")
	MESSAGE(WARNING
"------
                 Translations are not available.

${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/po/ was not found. This probably means that you are \
building from the development repository, and have not fetched translations. This is \
ok, if you want to run RKWard in English, only. Otherwise, to fetch translations, \
either  scripts/import_translations.py XX
where (XX is your language code, such as \"de\"; optionally specify several codes \
separated by spaces). In some cases (esp., if you want to build all existing \
translations), it is much faster to use:  git clone \
                git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/tfry/rkward-po-export
------")
ENDIF(EXISTS "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/po/")

- I.e. if there is no i18n/po/-directory, locally, inform people how to
  fetch translations.
- The import_translations.py script ([1]) is roughly based on what is
  done in releaseme to fetch translations. It also strips all
  i18n-comments, and replaces them with a hint that it's an export,
  only. A full run of this (all languages) currently takes almost 30
  minutes (but RKWard is somewhat atypical in having 9 separate message
  catalogs).
- The scratch-repo is there to keep the project's release manager
  (mostly me) sane (i.e. not having to repeat that 30 minute step too
  often), and to allow our Ubuntu dailies to come with translations.

Now one piece that is still missing is automating the translation
export, so translations don't start lagging too far behind in the daily
builds.

Regards
Thomas

[1]