List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: i18n and direct builds from a source repository
From:       Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier () ruhr-uni-bochum ! de>
Date:       2014-11-27 8:06:37

Hi,

On Thursday 27 November 2014 00:22:40 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Sincerely, i don't see ourselves having yet another copy of the translations
> in another part of SVN.

ok, point taken. But again, the exact place of storage is not actually the
central part of my suggestion.

> Other option is just asking sysadmin to run releaseme nightly on some server
> and storing it in ftp.kde.org.

Yes, true. I can come up with a bunch of other solutions that will extract
messages for project rkward only, and store these whereever. And in fact, to
cover my usecases(*), I _will_ have to do that.

This can be based on releaseme, but quite obviously it's not releaseme out-of-
the-box, either. So - I will have to put some work into this. Coming up with a
solution that is generic enough for other projects to use, too, does not seem
much harder. And so that's why I'm writing lengthy mails, exploring if the
idea resounds.

Well, so far it does not. So let me try to make the point one final time:

I am certainly not the most seasoned venturer of the KDE codebase, but I have
compiled a couple project from git. And I'll admit, in none of these cases, I
have cared too deeply about translations. Although I'm not a native speaker,
my desktop is running in English. So much more consistent when working with
development stuff, in the first place (or is that actually just another
symptom of the problem)?

So, apologies, for attempting proof by ignorance, but:
I cannot remember stumbling over instructions on how to get i18n for a git
build of a specific project _once_. Neither do I recall any instance of cmake
telling me: "Configuration done, but, hey, there's no po-subdir around.
Consider fetching it like so, in case you want translations." Do you(**)?

Why is that so?
I can see two reasons:
- Because other developer folks are like me, and just don't care enough (in
particular, one could argue in an environment, where i18n - from the point of
the developer, is something that "just happens", if you follow some few easy
rules).
- Because coupling development builds with translations is actually not an
easy and straightforward thing to do in the current setup.

It might be possible to improve on the second point, rather easily.

Regards
Thomas

(*): And yes, the launchpad dailies are _really_ important to our project.
build.opensuse.org would be a useful addition to, not replacement for that.
BTW, the main obstacle to doing dailies, on opensuse, is that last time I
looked, it needed sources to be pushed, there, instead of pulling changes,
automatically.
(**): Should the answer be yes, I'll definitely be interested in stealing some
concepts, there.