List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Locale x-test in kf5
From:       Burkhard =?ISO-8859-1?Q?L=FCck?= <lueck () hube-lueck ! de>
Date:       2014-10-14 13:14:07

Hi translators,

my favorite locale x-test to check translation issues and evil fixed
layout is somehow crippled in kf5

1) we have no translations for Qt like kdeqt.po with 1985 msgs in kde4

2) Qt does not load a translation from locale x-test, because x-test is a KDE
internal locale and therefore unknown to Qt, so it will refuse to load these
translations, even if a catalog with these translations exists.
This affects
qtbase_*.ts with 1444 msgs
all catalogs in frameworks/*_qt.po with 1058 msgs

To make locale x-test again usable for me I have performed these steps:

* convert qtbase_de.ts from my qt 5.3 sources  to the gettext template
qtbase_de.pot
* generate a qtbase_de.po in x-test with msgstr's xxfooxx
* convert the qtbase_de.po to qtbase_zu.qm
* install locale KDE x-test in + qtbase_zu.qm  in kf5/share/locale/zu

Now x-test is usable again for me under the new language name "zu".

My choice for the faked x-test locale was Zulu (zu), because zu is in
kf5/share/locale/kf5_all_languages, has zero translations in kde and is in ISO
639-1 and therefore known to Qt as well.

Now I have most of x-text translations back, except the translations from
desktop files, which have no msgs for locale zu.

What about if we use this recipe, rename x-test to zu (or select another
locale from 639-1) to get a fully supported locale x-test with a different name
again?

--
Burkhard Lück