List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Minimum translation percentage for Plasma 5 release
From:       Māris Nartišs <maris.kde () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-08-12 8:56:40

Hello Vincenzo,
I read Martin's reply as "it would not hurt to have partial translation".

Keep in mind the motivating factor. I joined KDE, QGIS and GRASS GIS
translation efforts because the shipped translations were incomplete,
imperfect or even bogus. Artificial percentage doesn't provide the quality
of translation. Those, who are following this mailing list, probably have
noticed "languageo FOO is FUBARED and I want to take over it to fix it"
type e-mails. Thus if the choice is between "partial translation" vs "no
translation", I would vote for "partial translation".

Although I liked  Franklin's idea - 70% = warning barrier and like 50% =
hard barrier. If a language fails below 70% - warn the maintainer. If there
is no response from the maintainer within N release(s), stop shipping as it
is unmaintained. Thus there would be no 69.9% issue and maintainers
struggling to keep up the % would still have a chance to get language
shipped as long as they care.
A "no ship" barrier still would be nice, as there are some languages having
0% translated strings. Listing such language as an "one of KDE (SC)
languages" would make us a laughing stock.
Sorry, Albert, this offer adds some extra work for you.

Just my 0.02,
Maris.