List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Mistake in l10n/de/entry.desktop
From:       Sönke_Dibbern <s_dibbern () web ! de>
Date:       2014-06-25 21:48:26

Am 24.06.2014, 19:16 Uhr, schrieb Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano@tiscali.it>:

> Sönke Dibbern ha scritto:

>>> I can do it; I will change also the matching file in frameworks
>>> (kdelibs4support/src/l10n/de/country.desktop). Is it a problem if I
>>> commit
>>> using your name?
>>
>> No, not at all. Many thanks!
>
> I applied the fix to the KDE/4.13 branch of kde-runtime, then I merged
> that
> branch into master, so that upcoming version 4.13.x and 4.14 will have
> it:
> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kde-runtime.git&a=commit&h=57814f0f4d594877c359734ca7dcbbeec16a54d2
>
> Then I applied it to kdelibs4support (Frameworks 5):
> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdelibs4support.git&a=commit&h=01814e86b371719d62991de6d137eb6233be427e

Thank you very much

> Please note that in the long run those information will be taken from ISO
> standards; John Layt is working on a new framework (KStandards is the
> temporary/work-in-progress name, no code available yet). So I would
> suggest to
> check if the information for your country (this is for everyone) are
> accurate
> in the relevant standards.

This is bad news.

I doubt that this will be the case for more than just a few
non-state-level languages. And I doubt that it will be feasible for many
of these languages to push things into ISO standards, because this - to my
knowledge - requires heavy commitee work for which most often there will
not be enough ressources.

For languages of suppressed national minorities this will in many cases
mean, that they will never get a properly localized desktop, because the
government of the suppressing state will have the means to hold the
representants of the suppressed minorities out of the respective
committees and have the respective applications voted down.

I don't think it would be wise to go in such a direction and to become
dependant on such things as ISO[1] that are subject to political power
games, because Open Source *has* something to do with freedom (and I don't
talk of 'free' as in 'beer').

Gröten
Sönke

P.S.: About which ISO standards do we talk exactly, by the way? Though I
have fundamental objections, I would like to check nevertheless.

[1] From Wikipedia: "The organization promotes worldwide proprietary,
industrial and commercial standards." ... "With the exception of a small
number of isolated standards, ISO standards are normally not available
free of charge, but for a purchase fee, which has been seen by some as too
expensive for small open source projects."

--
Erstellt mit Kopf und Fingern :)