List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KHolidays Files - Please Check!
From:       John Layt <jlayt () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-06-20 18:55:43

On 20 June 2014 19:15, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano@tiscali.it> wrote:

> Nice! So I can specify that some holidays are both public and religious, or
> public and cultural, or school and religious only?

Yes exactly, feel free to mix-and-match, but generally I'd say
restrict to 2 or 3 at most, 1 if needed to define who gets the day off
and 1 or 2 to group them further.

> What is the difference between commemorative and historical? (end of WWII is
> both).

You can tag it with both if you like :-)  The definitions are
deliberately a bit fuzzy, different people or cultures are likely to
define things differently.  My general thinking is commemoration is
for more serious or solemn historic events like wars and deaths, but
could also be memorial days not tied to any one specific historic
event, perhaps something like World Aids Day or Holocaust Day, whereas
historical covers a wider range of events that may not be so serious
or memorable.

> In the past you suggested to not commit directly but send you the files for
> review first, because of some possible issues with the parser. Is it still the
> case, or can I commit my changes directly?
> Is there a fast way to test them apart from recompiling the entire module? (I
> guess not, given that the parser changed)

Yes, the problem is that the parser is very fragile, if even one file
is broken by one letter being typed wrong then the entire library of
files can be broken, so no changes should be committed without running
the tests first.  You also have to install the file into the right
folder first before it wil be found by the library.  And as you say,
with the parser changing the only way to test is with a full checkout
of kdepimlibs that you build and install and then run
kholidays/tests/testholidayregion.  I'll have a think about creating a
command line tool to validate a file, but that would still depend on a
rebuild first.  In the meantime it's easiest just to open a bug.

Cheers!

John.