List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Question regarding baloo_queryparser: weekday names
From:       Alexander Potashev <aspotashev () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-05-29 12:47:26

Denis,

Please find my comments mixed in below.

> If a language can use several calendars, can these two locales be
> distinguished by the translators? For instance, if French can be used with
> two calendars, but each calendars is used in a distinct set of countries,
> would it be possible to provide a different translation for fr_FR, fr_BE,
> fr_LU, fr_CA, fr_ZW and fr_ET (so that Ethiopia gets its own list of month
> names)?

There is currently only one translation variant for French. You can
notice there are different translation teams for Portuguese used in
Portugal and for Brazilian Portuguese, but they have to be different
because of the difference in the language. I was told that language
difference between Portuguese in Portugal and Brazilian Portuguese is
much larger than US English and British English.

All in all, translations and locales are different concepts in
KDELibs4. For example you can mix disparate languages and locales like
I've just did in KWrite:
 1. I use Russian locale (in the Locale KCM),
 2. then run KWrite and switch its language to Engish (there is a
switcher in the Help menu),
 3. restart KWrite to apply changes,
 4. see the KWrite UI in English, but the font size is spelled as
"11,0" in the KWrite config dialog. Note the comma in "11,0" - it  is
the decimal fraction separator used in Russia, it would be a dot in
the locale for United States.

> If this is not possible, then I don't have yet any solution, but I will
> check whether KCalendarSystem has a method returning the translated name of
> all the months and days (so that Baloo does not have to translate the terms
> itself). This way, I use the month names of the current calendar system, and
> I let KDE handle all the locale stuff.

Getting the month/weekday names from KDELibs sounds most natural, indeed.

--
Alexander Potashev