List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Different formulas for plurals in Qt and KDE
From:       Sönke_Dibbern <s_dibbern () web ! de>
Date:       2014-04-08 12:06:52

Am 08.04.2014, 10:49 Uhr, schrieb Aur=C3=A9lien G=C3=A2teau <agateau@kde=
.org>:

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 18:07, Alexander Potashev wrote:
>> Good night!
>>
>> More on plurals and KF5...
>>
>> As you may know, Serbian, Ukrainian and Russian translations of KDE
>> software are using a new plural formula with 4 plural forms, while Qt=

>> knows only about the traditional plural formula and only 3 plural
>> forms.
>>
>> Because, like I was said 4 years ago, scripty pulls the plural formul=
>> from kdelibs4.po and scatters it to all files in l10n-kde4/[LANG]/, i=
>> is not possible to have some .po with 4 plural forms (for those
>> packages using the ki18n framework) and others with 3 plural forms
>> (for packages using QObject::tr).
>>
>> Now I have a two questions:
>>  1. Is there any problem at all? For example, what happens if a .po
>> file for a Qt-only KF5 module is converted back to .ts - will it
>> truncate the 4th plural form?
>>
>>  2. In the case there is a problem, what options may there be to  =

>> overcome
>>  it?
>>
>> P.S.  I didn't read Qt sources much, therefore I might be wrong in my=

>> assumption that plural formulas for languages are hardcoded in Qt.
>
> I am still not familiar enough with scripty to have a definitive answe=
r,
> but this could be a problem indeed. Plural formulas are indeed hardcod=
ed
> in Qt (just checked, they are in the qttools repository, in
> src/linguist/shared/numerus.cpp)
>
> Aur=C3=A9lien

Moin tosamen,

what does the latter mean for smaller languages not taken into account i=
n  =

numerus.cpp, e.g. Low Saxon (nds), Upper and Lower Sorbian (hsb and nsb,=
  =

resp.) or North Frisian (frr), just to mention a few? Will it be possibl=
e  =

to have message catalogs for these at all?

Best Gr=C3=B6ten,
S=C3=B6nke

-- =

Geschrieben mit Kopf und Fingern :)