List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Kst translation
From:       Nicolas Brisset <nicolas.brisset () free ! fr>
Date:       2014-03-23 22:37:13

Hi doc team,

I don't know if you are aware of it, but Kst (high-performance and user-friendly 2d \
plotting tool) is still alive and back in the KDE infrastructure.

In the past (kst 1.x), a lot of development was done by George Staikos under the KDE \
umbrella. Then came the time to port to Qt4, and the decision was made to make Kst a \
pure Qt application, with optional KDE integration. After a few months on github, \
recently Kst was moved back to KDE git, one of the expected benefits being \
translations. We took inspiration from trojita or marble with respect to technical \
details and at present there is a pot file \
(http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/templates/messages/extragear-graphics/kst_common.pot) \
and the GUI is already translated in a few languages, with hopefully more to come.

I'm writing this mail to announce:
- that we are planning to release the next version soon. We still have a packaging \
issue to solve regarding translations, but we will hopefully solve it quickly. We \
will release with whichever languages are available, it will be an improvement over \
the last versions anyway. There will probably be some more over the next weeks, they \
                will then get into the next version.
- that being French and one of the active maintainers I'd be willing to translate Kst \
to French. Apparently nobody has started the French translation yet. Can I just go \
ahead, translate it and commit the new .po file to \
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/fr/messages/extragear-graphics/ ? Note that \
after some experiments, I found linguist nicer to use than lokalize (mainly due to \
                dialog previews) => is it OK to use linguist instead of lokalize?
- that we'd like to update the documentation at some point, at the moment it is very \
much outdated => DO NOT TRANSLATE IT JSUT YET! I experimented a bit with DocBook and \
the current stuff we have does not even compile with meinproc4, apparently due to a \
missing entity definition in kdex.dtd <!ENTITY kst "<application>Kst</application>">. \
I must also say that it's not easy to get started with DocBook, so is there any other \
way to write the documentation like using LibreOffice for instance and then \
converting back to DocBook (and HTML/PDF)?

I also have a technical question: is there a way to reuse the translations from kst \
1.x? I haven't checked how many we had, but I think it was more than we have today, \
and some of the strings will have been kept.

Thanks for the great job you do, and the support (in particular the few active guys \
who started working on kst even before we asked for anything, and Burkhard for the \
technical help already provided). KDE is a great community!

Best regards,

Nicolas

P.S.: Kst homepage is at http://kst-plot.kde.org