List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: State of en_GB (was Re: Clean up of Kooka translations)
From:       Jonathan Marten <jjm2 () keelhaul ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2013-11-14 20:04:44

Thanks for your message Jonathan, good to know that there is some support and
activity for the KDE en_GB language.  I do think that aacid's observation was
a bit pessimistic, with a missing en_GB translation being nowhere near as
serious as, say, a missing CJK one.  But it is certainly worth having
completeness as far as the user can tell, my original motivation for starting
to work on the Kooka translations was getting tired at seeing "color" or
"gray" standing out like the proverbial sore thumb in the UI...

I hadn't considered the proofreading aspect of the en_GB work, but it is
definitely a good idea - there are some strings that I've noticed that don't
look right even in worldwide English.  How does the process work? - do we have
carte blanche to jump in and change these wherever they may appear, or via the
normal bug/review process?

I could certainly help out (what time permits) with any en_GB work that is
needed, so I will join the mailing list and keep an eye on it.  If there is a
published list of tasks or areas that are intended to be addressed, then of
course I will follow that.  Your mailing list not being @kde.org confused me,
I had assumed that there must be one for en_GB but was not sure where to find
it!

Best regards,
  Jonathan

--