List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: GNOME appdata files translation
From:       "T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-11-06 3:20:54

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor@ukr.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I understand things correctly, "name" for AppData is taken from desktop
> file (it is unclear though if the corresponding translation will be
> selected).

Translated names are definitely extracted from desktop files by the
Fedora AppStream extractor code:
https://github.com/hughsie/fedora-appstream/blob/master/desktop_file.py#L193-201

If Apper/GNOME Software/Muon don't show them then it's a glaring bug
in one of those programs.  ;-)

> It is also interesting what will happen with partial translations
> (translated summary and untranslated description and vice versa)? Will they
> be used or discarded. What will I find in xxx Software Center when the
> search term is e.g. "Calculator"? Both localized and non-localized results
> or just unlocalized ones?

Dunno, will try and test soon.

I'd guess if you searched "calculator" you'd get only the untranslated
have been translated, but maybe it's smart and searches the English
version too??

> Using appdata.its from Richard's page [1] leads to translation by paragraph
> for multi paragraph descriptions, like this (I run it as "itstool -i
> appdata.its -j inkscape.appdata.xml -o translated.xml uk.mo")
>
> <description>
> </description>
>
> intltool translates this as
>
> <description>
> </description>
> <description xml:lang="uk">
> </description>
>
> What is the right way?

Well if the schema [1] is to be believed, itstool is right and
intltool is wrong.  But, GNOME is using intltool all over the place so
I suspect that it's just the schema that's wrong.  I'll ask Richard
for clarification.

BTW, where did you manage to find an actual translated appdata file?
I must have exploded a dozen F20 GNOME RPMs and none of them had any
translated descriptions yet.  :-(

By the way, if it turns out both are (or can be) supported, do
translators have a preference as to which is used in KDE?  Doing it at
the <p> level is really going to turn out ugly if we end up merging
them back like desktop files...

But looking at the discussion on kde-core-devel we might end up with a
way to avoid merging them back into the original XML and just shipping
translations separately, which would be much, much nicer.

-T.C.

[1] https://raw.github.com/hughsie/appdata-tools/master/data/appdata.xsd