List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: ROCScore translation question
From:       Orestes Mas <orestes () tsc ! upc ! edu>
Date:       2013-07-28 22:57:02

El Diumenge, 28 de juliol de 2013, en/na Andreas Cord-Landwehr va escriure:
> On Sunday 28 July 2013 20:05:29 Orestes Mas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in rocscore.po are some strings starting with "Return list all..." (for
> > instance: "Return list all nodes in the graph."). To my knowledge (I'm
> > not an english native speaker) this means that hitting the return key
> > will list all nodes in the graph, but I suspect this interpretation is
> > wrong,
>
> because
>
> > the given context for these strngs says that they are "Scripting API
> > description", so "return" sounds more as a return value of a function
>
> than
>
> > a return key, but in the former case the english sentence isn't well
> > formed, is it?
> >
> > Can someone please clarify me the exact meaning of these strings?
> >
> > Note that there are also similar strings but with clearer meaning, as
> > "Return a list of all edges (incoming and outgoing) of this node.". I've
> > no problem translating these other strings.
>
> Hi Orestes, the "Scripting API description" context is used for all strings
> that are used in Rocs' in-program programming help that explains the
> user how to write algorithms for the Rocs graph simulator. You can
> essentially think of this as the documenation of JavaScript
> objects/functions that the user can modify in the program at runtime (e.g.
> what properties of a pointer between two nodes can be accessed, how to
> compute a shortest path...)
>
> With respect to the string you are asking about: the string explains what
> the return value the "nodes()" function of a graph object is. And you are
> right, it should be phrased "Return a list of all nodes in the graph.".
>
> Thanks for bringing this up!
> Andreas

Thanks for you reply. I suspected it, but I had to confirm it.

Other strings (in rocscore.po) that require rephrasing or more clarification:

"If true, the connection is directed. Otherwise is connection is undirected."
(should be THE connection)

"\n
            The Console object allows you to print messages of different
importance to a log.\n

"(probably you should add context to specify that 'Console', being a class
name, should not be translated.

--
Regards
Orestes Mas, KDE-Edu translator to Catalan