List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: string freezing playground/base/about-distro
From:       Harald Sitter <sitter () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-07-24 21:43:58

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Pino Toscano <toscano.pino@tiscali.it> wrote:
> Alle mercoledì 24 luglio 2013, Harald Sitter ha scritto:
>> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Pino Toscano
> <toscano.pino@tiscali.it> wrote:
>> > #: LSBRelease.cpp:33
>> > msgctxt "@label"
>> > msgid "Unknown"
>> > msgstr ""
>> > -> "unknown" what? please add the subject in the context
>>
>> +        const QString unknown = i18nc("@label unknown distribution
>> information (name, version, release codename, description)",
>> +                                      "Unknown");
>>
>> hope that's more useful.
>
> Well, not really, since at least in my language (and I could guess also
> in others) such attributes (name, version, etc) have different genders,
> so the translation of "unknown" would need to follow the gender of the
> unknown item it is referring to.
> Yes, you have to provide a different "Unknown" string for each of the
> items.

In that case we now have:
+        m_id = i18nc("@label Unknown distribution name (e.g.
MyDistro)", "Unknown");
+        m_release = i18nc("@label Unknown distribution version (e.g.
1.0)", "Unknown");
+        m_codename = i18nc("@label Unknown distribution codename
(e.g. for Kubuntu this would be 'raring' or 'saucy')", "Unknown");
+        m_description = i18nc("@label Unknown distribution
description (this often is a combination of name and version, such as
'MyDistro 1.0'", "Unknown");

>> > It seems to rely on the file /etc/lsb-release, which on my distro
>> > does not exist; OTOH, `lsb_release` is installed and works, so
>> > maybe you should switch to that?
>>
>> actually the plan is to switch to os-release [1] as lsb-release in
>> fact was never backed by any sort of specification. if your
>> distribution would like to pick up the KCM soonishy then I could
>> definitely be convinced to change that sooner rather than later ;)
>
> Maybe it would be better to do it for this release, making the module
> useful on potentially more distros? Also, if things would not be
> complicated too much, maybe consider falling back to `lsb_release` if
> /etc/os-release is not available.

Worth considering.

>> > What is the secret key combo opening a youtube video?
>>
>> easteregg :P
>
> Better to not silently redirect to non-free services ;)

I guess.

HS