Dashamir Hoxha, 22/03/2013 21:17: > On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) > wrote: >> Thanks Dashamir for your experience. I'm trying to understand more on >> B-Translator. > > I am pleased that you are trying to understand more. > > To help your understanding, just keep in mind that > B-Translator is meant to be a feedback collection tool > (although its name seems to be a bit misleading). > So, its goal is a little bit different from TranslateWiki > and other online translation systems. This is why it > has multiple suggestions and votes and other features > that normally would be strange for a translation system. > > Its aim is not to replace any existing translation tools, > but to bridge the gap between the translators and the > users, to encourage users to get involved into the > translation process by making small contributions, > to facilitate discussions about translations, to build > a community of people interested on translations, > which is wider than just the translators, to advertise > the translations and the translation process into the > social networks and to attract people into this > translation community. Sure. > > If you have a look at https://l10n.org.al you may > have a better idea of what I am trying to explain. I did but it's a bit confusing with not knowing the language and all; docs were more immediate for me. > Of course it is not finished yet (although it is working), > and there are a lot of things that can be improved, > but I didn't give up yet, I am still working on it. > > In case that you would like to install a local copy, > in order to test it better, it can be done easily, but > still let me know so that I can help you. Ok. > >> On "However this merge is a bit difficult": it's not with >> translatewiki.net. The system takes care of all merge and commit activity in >> the translators' stead. Even if for some reason someone commits translations > > My point was that it is difficult to do it correctly > without human intervention. You can do it automatically, > but you cannot ensure that it is done correctly, > and you cannot guarantee the quality of the translations. > >> I hope this helps; sorry if I missed your points... bridging online >> and offline translation communities is complicate because it's so hard to >> understand each other. :) That's why Niklas announced his upcoming > > No, the offline translation community are the people who > are doing the work, and they have done it successfully for > many years. They don't have to understand us, we should > understand them. Just tell me how many KDE projects have > you translated into your language? I have translated only one, > to get familiar with the process, and I did it with Lokalize. > Without putting ourselves into their shoes, we cannot > understand them. Looks like what I said. :) > >> presentation 4 months earlier, to collect more information in the meanwhile >> and prepare a more complete proposal that will allow a constructive >> discussion at Akademy and will hopefully provide some language teams with >> something they'll like and find useful enough to adopt it. > > That's the correct attitude. Try to build something that people > would like, and would enjoy using, and would be better than > what they are currently using. But you cannot do it without > first understanding how they are working currently. That's what was being tried. There was a misunderstanding due to the newsletter delivery being scheduled for a moment a few hours before the page with more info was expanded and clarified, I guess. Nemo