List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KDE with Translatewiki
From:       Dashamir Hoxha <dashohoxha () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-03-20 10:55:14

Hi,

I started to use translatewiki a few years ago (about 2 years ago),
but I stopped
very soon, because they expected me to help translating the existing \
projects (that they had uploaded), and wouldn't allow me to upload the \
projects that I wanted
to translate. Anyway I have no bad feelings about it.

After that I started developing my own online translation system, \
B-Translator (https://github.com/dashohoxha/B-Translator). Actually its \
focus is about getting
feedback from users for the existing translations, rather than
translating directly.
Also it is language centric (for example Albanian translations of all \
projects), rather than project centric (all translations of KDE). For \
example see this site about Albanian translations: https://l10n.org.al

Anyway, I have given some thought to the problem of mixing offline tools \
and online tools on a single workflow. Initially I didn't understand why \
KDE would discourage using Launchpad for translations, but later I \
understood that it is difficult to merge these translations with the \
desktop+svn translations.

For online translation tools to be useful, they have to provide easy
import/export
of PO files, and they should integrate somehow to the svn/git backbone,
by merging translations that are done online to the translations that are \
done offline. However this merge is a bit difficult and cannot be done \
automatically, without human intervention. The best way, in my opinion, is \
to do the merge with Localize, where the translator can also check the \
quality of the translations
coming from the online tool, and resolve any possible conflicts.

This link has more details about how an integrated translation workflow \
should work (according to my understanding):
https://github.com/dashohoxha/B-Translator/blob/master/docs/README.org#the-processworkflow-for-an-integrated-translation
 Probably translatewiki can find some ideas from B-Translator useful.

Regards,
Dashamir