List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: =?UTF-8?B?VHJvaml0w6E=?= localization problems
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-02-26 22:25:32

El Dimarts, 26 de febrer de 2013, a les 08:47:22, Yuri Chornoivan va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that Trojitá's localization has some problems, at least in
> Ukrainian (Trojitá git/master, Qt 4.8.4).
>
> 1. Every string that contains the word "Trojitá" cannot be translated.
> Example: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55247264/trojita.png
>
> The reason seems to be the "á".
>
> Is there any way to avoid this trouble?

There's lots of ways:
 * Find if it is a bug in Qt or any of the scripts and fix it
 * Don't use Qt for translations
 * Rename the app
etc. :D

Obviously the first seems like only real option, but don't count me in in
investigating it, sorry.

> 2. Qt has hardcoded limit of plural forms for Ukrainian (uk_UA, 3 forms)
> and Ukrainian KDE has 4 forms. This was not a problem before as all
> translation tools with hardcoded plural counter (Launchpad, Transifex,
> Virtaal) just skip the fourth form that results in ugly but visible
> translations.
>
> Qt's lconvert refuses to do so: "Removed plural forms as the target
> language has less forms." So all messages with plural forms look
> untranslated.
>
> Is it possible to limit plural forms just for the trojita_common.po to 3
> manually without overrun by scripty?

Adding a manual exception to scripty, but doesn't sound like a good thing to
me. Any chance you can convince the Qt guys 4 plurals is better?

Cheers,
  Albert