List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Misleading strings in kalzium.po
From:       "Yuri Chornoivan" <yurchor () ukr ! net>
Date:       2013-01-03 10:44:25

Thu, 03 Jan 2013 10:24:17 +0200 було написано Dimitris Kardarakos
<dimkard@gmail.com>:

> Hi everyone.
>
> Translating kalzium.po I stumbled upon some strings that seem invalid.
>
> 1. msgid "It was discovered near a town named Magnesia in black earth.
> Thus, it was "
> "named 'magnesia nigra', or for short, Manganese."
>
> The aforementioned string describes the origin of the name "Manganese".
> Nevertheless, there is no place like "black earth" in Greece. You can
> see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manganese where the origin of the name
> is described.
>

> 2. msgid "Greek 'cuprum' for Cypres"
>
> The aforementioned string describes the origin of the name "Copper".
> Cuprum is a latin word, not Greek, and according to Wikipedia "In the
> Roman era, copper was principally mined on Cyprus, hence the origin of
> the name of the metal as сyprium (metal of Cyprus), later shortened to
> сuprum"
>

> 3. msgid "'Gallia' is an old name for France"
>
> The aforementioned string describes the origin of the name "Gallium". I
> think that saying that Gallia is the old name of France is misleading.
> Again, according to Wikipedia "Gaul (Latin: Gallia, French: Gaule,
> Dutch: Gallië, German: Gallien, Greek: Γαλλία) was a region of Western
> Europe during the Iron Age and Roman era, encompassing present day
> France, Luxembourg and Belgium, most of Switzerland, the western part of
> Northern Italy, as well as the parts of the Netherlands and Germany on
> the west bank of the Rhine. "
>

> 4. msgid "Latin 'germania' is an old name for Germany"
>
> The aforementioned string describes the origin of name "Germanium". Like
> the 'Gallia' case, you can see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germania.
>

> 5. msgid "Ruthenia is the old name of Russia"
>
> The aforementioned string describes the origin of the name "Ruthenium".
> Same as above, you can see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthenia
>

> 6. msgid "Greek 'rhodeos' means 'red like a rose'"
>
> The aforementioned string describes the origin of the name "Rhodium".
> But, greek ρόδιος (rhodeos) means "from Rode". Probably, the intended
> word was ρόδινος (rodinos) which means "rosy"
>

> 7. msgid "Greek 'dysprositor' for 'difficult to reach'"
>
> The aforementioned string describes the origin of the name "Dysprosium".
> Nevertheless, there is no such word in Greek. The right word is
> δυσπρόσιτος (disprositos).
>

> 8. msgid "Like Terbium and Gadolinium, this is named after the Swedish
> town of Ytterby."
>
> The aforementioned string describes the origin of the name "Ytterbium",
> saying that Gadolinium is named after Ytterby. But Gadolinium is named
> after the Finnish chemist Johan Gadolin", according to its description.
>

> 9. msgid "Greek 'astator' for 'changing'"
>
> The aforementioned string describes the origin of the name "Astatine".
> Nevertheless, there is no such word in Greek. The right word is άστατος
> (astatos).
>

> 10. msgid "This name has Greek roots. It means 'like Platinum' - it was
> [...]

Hi,

There are several ways to fix the above-mentioned problems, imho.

1. You can contact Lydia (Nightrose) on IRC (#kde-soc) and add the task to
update Kalzium descriptions as a mentor of GCI-2013. Then commit the
changes into git/master by yourself or using Kalzium developers help.

2. You can make a patch by yourself and put it to the review board [1]
adding Etienne Rebetez and kde-edu as reviewers.

3. You can forward your message to kde-edu@kde.org. But it is likely will
be some kind of ignored [2].

4. You can wait for someone who do 1, 2 or 3... ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,
Yuri

[1] http://git.reviewboard.kde.org