List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: backwards compatibility for docbook entities
From:       Robby Stephenson <robby () periapsis ! org>
Date:       2012-12-24 5:52:52

(I apologize for breaking the thread - I've not been subscribed to the
list...)

Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Diumenge, 23 de desembre de 2012, a les 13:04:51, Freek de Kruijf va
> escriure:
>> Op zaterdag 22 december 2012 17:05:39 schreef Robby Stephenson:
>> > Is there any conditional check I could put in Tellico such that recent
>> > docbook entities don't cause a compilation failure? Perhaps I copy the
>> > entities into a custom file that somehow only gets included in the
>> > docbook generation for older KDE versions. I just don't know how to do
>> > that.
>> You don't need to answer it, but why do you still want to use this older
>> version of KDE?
>
> He doesn't, i'd say that it's when other peoples compile it,

That's essentially my point. I've had multiple users report compilation
failures, one of the latest being for Centos 6 [1]. In general, I'd like
Tellico to be compilable and useable for the most broad range of kdelibs
versions as possible. In the code, I use conditional version checks when
I need functions from newer versions of kdelibs. I was hoping for
something analogous with docbook, but there doesn't seem to be anything.

It's quite possible for a user to be compiling Tellico on a machine for
which they don't have root access to manually backport a new docbook
entity and I don't want to force them to build and install kdelibs just
to get Tellico.

Albert's suggestion of manually tweaking the release tarball and replace
the entity is probably the best I can do, I suppose.

Thanks!
Robby

[1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/tellico-users/2012-July/000823.html