List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Typo in trunk messages/extragear-multimedia/amarok.pot
From:       Freek de Kruijf <f.de.kruijf () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-11-25 16:15:16

Op zondag 25 november 2012 11:09:21 schreef Adrián Chaves Fernández:
> In my opinion, while it might be incorrect English if you look up "play" in
> a dictionary, it can also be made on purpose, given a new — not yet in
> dictionaries — meaning to the word as a noun. That's certainly similar to
> what we did in Galician for "scrobble": we transformed the verb "listen"
> into a noun, with the meaning of "times a song or songs have been played"
> (like "play" here), and translated "scrobble" as "send plays".
>
> Anyway, I guess "time(s) played" can be used instead of "play(s)" here if
> you want to avoid new meanings for words.
> O Domingo, 25 de Novembro de 2012 09:15:49 Yuri Chornoivan escribiu:
> > написане Sun, 25 Nov 2012 01:26:26 +0200, Adrián Chaves Fernández
> >
> > <adriyetichaves@gmail.com>:
> > > Maybe it refers to the times a song has been played?
> >
> > Yes. That's right. The code:
> >      if( plays )
> >      {

> > plays );
> >
> >          QString text = i18ncp( "%2 is the 'X plays message above'",
> >
> >                  "%2 of <b>one</b> track will be scrobbled to %3.",
> >                  "%2 of <b>%1</b> tracks will be scrobbled to %3.",
> >                  tracks,
> >
> > playsText,
> >
> >                  serviceNames.join( i18nc( "comma between list words", ",
> >                  "
> >
> > ) ) );
> >
> >          scrobblingLabel->setText( text );
> >          scrobblingGroupBox->show();
> >
> >      }
> > >
> > > O Sábado, 24 de Novembro de 2012 23:31:50 Freek de Kruijf escribiu:

The whole problem is that we have a string in a string and a proper Dutch
sentence would require two strings in one string. I can imagine that more
complicated plurals in other languages require even more complicated strings
to translate. It requires one translatable string with two numbers as
parameters which needs with two plurals 4 combinations.

I would suggest to replace the strings with play and plays by resp. "played
one time" and "played %1 times", but than the sentence in which this is to be
inserted should read:
<b>one</b> track %2 will be scrobbled to %3.
<b>%1</b> tracks %2 will be scrobbled to %3.

An alternative is to have track(s) with a proper msgctxt in a third plural
based on the second number, so the above sentences could be:
<b>one</b> %4 %2 will be scrobbled to %3.
<b>%1</b> %4 %2 will be scrobbled to %3.
In the translation one would would have more freedom to arrange the different
strings. Even a fourth plural based on the first number is possible with
another word in the last sentence, like "will" could be made available. Then
it is up to the translators to use these elements to make proper sentences.
But it will be complicated.

--
fr.gr.

Freek de Kruijf