List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Multiple plural arguments
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-10-28 19:19:44

Hi there!

Over at http://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/107021/ we are discussing how to best
handle a case where the non-i18n handling would be a conditional concatenation
of strings.

The string would ultimately be something like
"Comments: 5, Likes: 3"
or
"Comments: 5" (no likes
or
"Likes: 3" (no comments)

This is currently done by conditionally appending ", " to the "Comments: ..."
string if comments and likes exist and then appending "Likes: ..." to the
result.

Another option I suggested but which can probably be improved on as well is to
have three strings, i.e.

i18n( "Comments: %1" )
i18n( "Likes: %1" )
i18n( "Comments: %1, Likes: %2" )
and then selecting the appropriate one.

While thinking a bit more about this I came across this variation:
i18np( "Comment:", "Comments:", numComments )
i18np( "Like:", "Likes:", numLikes )
i18nc( "Comment+Like merge pattern", "%1, %2" )

At this point I decided to go to the experts and ask them :)

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring