List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] New string freeze policy in stable branch
From:       Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-05 8:15:49

Hi Burkhard,

2012/10/4 Burkhard L=FCck:
> Am Mittwoch, 3. Oktober 2012 23:44:15 schrieb Frank Reininghaus:
>> Dear translators,
>>
>> 2012/10/3 Burkhard L=FCck:
>> > Hi translators,
>> >
>> > reading today a sentence like "bug fix not possible during the 4.9.x
>> > cycle because of the string freeze" twice in
>> > http://freininghaus.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/dolphin-bug-fixes-in-kde-=
4-9
>> > -2/ and seeing similar statements every now and then I think our strin=
>> > freeze policy in stable branch is wrong.
>>
>> I apologize for blaming the string freeze in public. I will not do this
>> again.
>>
>> The reason why I mentioned the freeze at all was that especially one
>> of the two issues (icon size resizing in the Places Panel) led to a
>> rather unpleasant discussion with some "users" at bugs.kde.org. I was
>> afraid that simply saying "You'll have to wait until KDE 4.10 for a
>> gui way to change the option" without providing a reason would again
>> provoke a stream of nasty comments (and for those "users", "it's a new
>> feature" or "it's a code change that I'm not comfortable with in the
>> stable branch" probably don't count because they were able to resize
>> their icons in KDE 4.8).
>>
>> But I see now that it was not fair to use the string freeze as an excuse=
.

> Frank, sorry but you got me wrong. With the link to your blog I did not w=
ant
> to blame you for "use the string freeze as an excuse"
>
> It was meant as an example where the strings freeze prevents to fix bugs
> properly in stable and leads to "unpleasant" discussions with users on b.=
k.o.

thanks for your message! I already thought that you meant it this way,
but when I reconsidered what I wrote on my blog, I realised that it
could easily be misunderstood.

I know little about how all the awesome work that the translators are
doing is organised, and you have to take decisions on the string
freeze issue yourselves, of course. I would just like to say that I
can imagine that removing the freeze would make your work more
difficult. There are often only a few days between a commit in the
stable branch and the release that ships it to the users. Making sure
that new strings are translated properly into dozens of languages
withing this short time frame is probably far from trivial.

Best regards,
Frank