List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] New string freeze policy in stable branch
From:       Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?q?L=FCck?= <lueck () hube-lueck ! de>
Date:       2012-10-04 19:23:29

Am Mittwoch, 3. Oktober 2012 22:49:19 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> El Dimecres, 3 d'octubre de 2012, a les 21:33:36, Burkhard Lück va escriure:
> > Hi translators,
> > reading today a sentence like "bug fix not possible during the 4.9.x
> > cycle because of the string freeze" twice in
> > http://freininghaus.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/dolphin-bug-fixes-in-kde-4-9
> > -2/ and seeing similar statements every now and then I think our string
> > freeze policy in stable branch is wrong.
> >
> > So I propose to change the policy to:
> >
> > "No string freeze after the release of a version x.y.0 in the stable
> > branch"
> >
> > Reasons:
> >
> > 1) Afair every request for an exception of the string freeze in stable
> > gets an OK here on this list
> >
> > 2) We have doc backports with 500-1000 strings somtimes every month, this
> > seem to work well and no one complained here.
> >
> > 2) Stable branch is feature frozen, so there won't be many new/changed
> > strings.
> > My guess is that we talk about a few hundred strings in the lifecycle of
> > a major version with the new policy, peanuts compared to 99376 strings
> > we have in stable branch actually.
> >
> > 3) Better for our users, makes devels work easier and does not really
> > harm the translation teams
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> ...and now seriously...
>

> I haven't translated in a while, so I do not care, the problem with this
> kind of "poll" is that you're only going to get answers from the people
> that translate often (aka read this list) so they're going to say yes.

Sure, but I see no way to get around this problem.

> Anyway, no freeze at all seems like a bad idea, I could change a string 1
> second just before we do the packaging for 4.y.x and not even the fastest
> teams will be able to translate it.

From my pov that would be a cheap price for a bug fix.

> If you all want a relaxing of the rules I'd suggest to change it so you can
> change strings freely 2 weeks after every stable release so you guys get
> around 2 weeks to catch up.

Quoting from your previous mail:
"developers can't read or comprehend policies"

That's why I am quite sure it would not work well and be another barrier for
devels I'd like to avoid.

I had a policy like "mail your patch to kde-i18n-doc@kde.org, if none objects
within x days go ahead" in mind, but think it would not work well for the
reason I quoted obove.

--
Burkhard Lück