List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] New string freeze policy in stable branch
From:       Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-03 21:44:15

Dear translators,

2012/10/3 Burkhard L=FCck:
> Hi translators,
>
> reading today a sentence like "bug fix not possible during the 4.9.x cycl=
> because of the string freeze" twice in
> http://freininghaus.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/dolphin-bug-fixes-in-kde-4-9=
-2/
> and seeing similar statements every now and then I think our string freez=
> policy in stable branch is wrong.

I apologize for blaming the string freeze in public. I will not do this aga=
in.

The reason why I mentioned the freeze at all was that especially one
of the two issues (icon size resizing in the Places Panel) led to a
rather unpleasant discussion with some "users" at bugs.kde.org. I was
afraid that simply saying "You'll have to wait until KDE 4.10 for a
gui way to change the option" without providing a reason would again
provoke a stream of nasty comments (and for those "users", "it's a new
feature" or "it's a code change that I'm not comfortable with in the
stable branch" probably don't count because they were able to resize
their icons in KDE 4.8).

But I see now that it was not fair to use the string freeze as an excuse.

Best regards,
Frank