List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] New string freeze policy in stable branch
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-10-03 20:43:39

El Dimecres, 3 d'octubre de 2012, a les 22:40:32, Albert Astals Cid va
escriure:
> El Dimecres, 3 d'octubre de 2012, a les 21:33:36, Burkhard Lück va escriure:
> > Hi translators,
> >
> > reading today a sentence like "bug fix not possible during the 4.9.x cycle
> > because of the string freeze" twice in
> > http://freininghaus.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/dolphin-bug-fixes-in-kde-4-9-
> > 2/ and seeing similar statements every now and then I think our string
> > freeze policy in stable branch is wrong.
> >
> > So I propose to change the policy to:
> >
> > "No string freeze after the release of a version x.y.0 in the stable
> > branch"
> >
> > Reasons:
> >
> > 1) Afair every request for an exception of the string freeze in stable
> > gets
> > an OK here on this list
> >
> > 2) We have doc backports with 500-1000 strings somtimes every month, this
> > seem to work well and no one complained here.
> >
> > 2) Stable branch is feature frozen, so there won't be many new/changed
> > strings.
> > My guess is that we talk about a few hundred strings in the lifecycle of a
> > major version with the new policy, peanuts compared to 99376 strings we
> > have in stable branch actually.
> >
> > 3) Better for our users, makes devels work easier and does not really harm
> > the translation teams
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> That developers can't read or comprehend policies or are just lazy to ask
> for an excemption.

Besides after reading the blog, he's blaming on string freeze the fact that he
can't add new features, which is simply wrong, what he can't do is add new
features to 4.9.x (yes adding a way to rename files with a dialog is a new
feature, not a bugfix).

Cheers,
  Albert