List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    [RFC] New string freeze policy in stable branch
From:       Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?q?L=FCck?= <lueck () hube-lueck ! de>
Date:       2012-10-03 19:33:36

Hi translators,

reading today a sentence like "bug fix not possible during the 4.9.x cycle
because of the string freeze" twice in
http://freininghaus.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/dolphin-bug-fixes-in-kde-4-9-2/
and seeing similar statements every now and then I think our string freeze
policy in stable branch is wrong.

So I propose to change the policy to:

"No string freeze after the release of a version x.y.0 in the stable branch"

Reasons:

1) Afair every request for an exception of the string freeze in stable gets an
OK here on this list

2) We have doc backports with 500-1000 strings somtimes every month, this seem
to work well and no one complained here.

2) Stable branch is feature frozen, so there won't be many new/changed
strings.
My guess is that we talk about a few hundred strings in the lifecycle of a
major version with the new policy, peanuts compared to 99376 strings we have
in stable branch actually.

3) Better for our users, makes devels work easier and does not really harm the
translation teams

What do you think?

--
Burkhard Lück