List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Merge and scatter: errors processing "desktop_kdebase"
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2010-12-29 10:01:37

> [: Manfred Wiese :]
> running "scatter"and "merge" on file "desktop_kdebase" here returns the
> messages and errors mentioned below. Is there anything to do against it?
> [...]
>   pology.PologyError: Invalid C escape sequence after '...'.
>   [...]
>   .../desktop_kdebase.po:3725: Zeilenende innerhalb einer Zeichenkette
>   .../desktop_kdebase.po:3725:5: ungültige Kontrollsequenz

The problem e.g. in this message:

  #. +> trunk stable
  #: runtime/kurifilter-plugins/ikws/searchproviders/sourceforge.desktop:92
  msgctxt "Query"
  msgid ""
  "http://sourceforge."
  "net/search/?type_of_search=\\\\{type,\"soft\"}&exact=\\\\{exact,\"0\"}&words=\"
  "\\\{@}"
  msgstr ""
  "http://sourceforge."
  "net/search/?type_of_search=\\\\{type,\"soft\"}&exact=\\\\{exact,\"0\"}&words=\"
  "\\\{@}"

is in the two next to last lines:

  "...exact,\"0\"}&words=\"
  "\\\{@}"

The \\\\ sequence, which are two escaped backslashes, has been wrapped after
the first backslash, invalidating the escaping (as if now the closing line
quote is escaped). Proper wrapping would be after the second backslash, or
before or after all of them. You need to go over the lines reported on merge
(these errors are coming from msgmerge) in a plain text editor, and fix the
wrapping.

The faulty wrapping was not introduced by Gettext or Pology tools, so I
guess it must have been by the PO editor you use. This bug should be
reported.

As for posummit, it is not nice that it crashes on malformed PO file during
scatter, so I've now made it report the problem and skip the file.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)