List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: I18N architecture in KDE and scripty
From:       mvillarino <mvillarino () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-10-23 10:18:14

> What do you think if the i18n function will have two parameters: the
> first is default message (as now) and the second - key to translated
> message.
>
> For example:
> The ark utility in batchextract.cpp file contains call
> i18n("Extracting file...").
> It should be changed to  i18n("Extracting file...",
> "kde.kdeutils.ark.extracting_file") and the .po file will contains
> local message under key kde.kdeutils.ark.extracting_file (as you can
> see it will be simple property file)

What the diference of this approach with the catgets one is?

> It is possible to create initial migration using naming convention:
> for example  i18n("Extracting file...",
> "kde.kdeutils.ark.generated_message_1"). I am not familar with C++ (I
> am a Java developer) but I think it is possible to create this utility
> in few days.
Please consider that not only the unique key is of value, but the
"context" of the message, be it a wrapping funtion call / class
/namespace / computation.
Also, if you try to develop it, consider using an already existing
file format for l10n from lisa.org

> What do you think about this idea?
All truths begin as blasphemies