List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kdebase-runtime/glossary doc cheats the DTD
From:       "Yuri Chornoivan" <yurchor () ukr ! net>
Date:       2010-10-20 4:04:14

написане Tue, 19 Oct 2010 23:29:53 +0300, Federico Zenith
<federico.zenith@member.fsf.org>:

> I just noticed that the two glossary files (glossary/index.docbook and
> glossary/kdeprintingglossary.docbook) have had some... questionable
> changes
> since a backport from trunk on October 5.
> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.5/kdebase/runtime/doc/glossary/index.docbook?r1=1143427&r2=1182819
>
> It is ugly enough that an entity like &newpara; is used to end a
> paragraph and
> start another (what was wrong about </para><para>?), but &newpara; is
> _actually_ implemented as </p><p>. This means that the docbook will be
> useful
> only for conversion to HTML, where <para> maps to <p>, but not e.g. to
> LaTeX,
> man pages or whatever else.
>
> I cringed especially on link implementation, where instead of the
> standard
> <ulink> element, there is an <a> tag that even incorporates the
> target="_top"
> option, which is not even conformant HTML.
>
> The entities have basically been used to smuggle tags like <p>, <em> and
> <a>
> in a docbook document, working around the DTD.
> Am I the only one who thinks this cannot be any good?
>
> -Federico

Hi!

Yes this markup is a bit ugly, but usual XML markup you have proposed does
not work for glossaries. If we use the usual markup it will be stripped
during glossary generation.

We have tried to find the solution, but nobody proposed one. The current
markup is the only way to solve the problem at the moment.

Burkhard explanation:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-docbook&m=127369111822097&w=2

Best regards,
Yuri