List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Clean up the language docbooks
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2010-08-16 9:45:23

> [: Burkhard Lück :]
> At some point in kde4.x I used a brute force method for that. I removed
> all german docbooks and generated the docbooks again. That gave a clean
> german documentation. [...]

Hm, what about when a complete subdirectory should be gone? E.g. when going
through the report of obsolete docbooks you provided for us, I was checking
where I should really delete only those docbooks, and where the whole
subdirectory (e.g. kdebase-runtime/userguide/).

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> This script that you use to detect out of date stuff, is it somewhere in
>> the repository?
>
> [: Burkhard Lück :]
> No, where to upload it? Somewhere in l10n-support?
> [...]
> But be warned: Writing the scripts was only intended for my personal use
> to maintain the german documentation, and later on I extended some of them
> to handle all languages.

Since it's mostly hardcoded, could you minimally adapt it to behave similarly
to other branch-bound scripts? This means that it would be both in
branches/stable/l10n-kde4/script/ and trunk/l10n-kde4/script/, and if run
by:

  $ cd WHEREVER/l10n-kde4/
  $ scripts/detect_obsolete_doc.sh

it would give out the report for all languages, and if run by:

  $ cd WHEREVER/l10n-kde4/
  $ scripts/detect_obsolete_doc.sh LANG

it would give out only the report for that language.

Of course, if you could make it also branch-independent, then the best place
would be trunk/l10n-support/scipts/.

> So you'll find german comments, hardcoded paths for my checkout dirs, no
> proper usage message, no proper error handling etc.

I think that so long as it can be run as above, it would be quite usable as
it is.

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> You mean to clean up in one week this once, or once every week?
>
> [: Burkhard Lück :]
> Once a week before docs.kde.org is updated (afair friday). That should not
> be much work once the language docbooks are cleaned up.

I'd find that a great service, but fair to accept only if it would really
take you negligible time. Otherwise, just make the detection script
available and scold us from time to time :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team