List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Clean up the language docbooks
From:       Stefan Asserhall <stefan.asserhall () comhem ! se>
Date:       2010-08-15 11:54:11

On Sunday 15 August 2010 13.31.50 wrote Yuri Chornoivan:
> <stefan.asserhall@comhem.se>:
> > I noticed that the FAQ and userguide are gone, which surprised me. Has
> > that been discussed?
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-doc-english&m=126337320012076&w=2
>
> Nobody wants to maintain it. Distribution user guides shipped with KDE
> incompatible licenses, so these guides were dropped.

That thread seemed inconclusive. At least woodsjay says that users prefer to
keep the documentation. Furthermore there is no mention of translations.

> > Where does a user go to get such basic information in his/her
> > language nowadays?
>
> Aaron [1] thinks he can do it on UserBase. The other ideas I have heard
> (twitter, blogs) were even more... fantastic.

So the current state of affairs is incredibly bad! The old stuff removed,
nothing replacing it, and no plans on how to handle translations. Is that a
fair summary?

/ Stefan