List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: RFC: Add ISO Currency Code support to KLocale
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-09 17:17:41

On Sunday 09 May 2010 11:12:37 Freek de Kruijf wrote:
> Op zondag 9 mei 2010 10:13:30 schreef Guillaume DE BURE:
> > Hi john,
> >
> > Just letting you know that Stéphane, Skrooge's main developper, has
> > implemented this in the next Skrooge version (see attached picture).
> >
> > Thanks for your work ! :)
> >
> > Guillaume

Hey, very cool, thanks!

> I hope this is based on the GNU translations of ISO_4217, See
> http://translationproject.org/domain/iso_4217.html  and that there is no
> duplication in KDE for these translations.

Well, when I first did this in SC 4.4 I didn't know about the isocodes
project, and no-one else pointed it out at the time, so we have our own
translations of the names.

I have since looked into using isocodes, but the names they translate are the
official ISO name, which is not useful for us as they are not in any standard
or consistent format, i.e. not all have the adjectival form of the country in
the name, such as 'Pula' instead of 'Botswanan Pula'.

As earlier discussed on this list, I'm planning at some stage to approach the
isocodes guys to discuss merging the two efforts by adding our names and other
variables to their datafile and sharing the translations, as well as using
their country code files and translations as well.  I haven't had time to do
that for SC 4.5, so it's something for SC 4.6 now.

Cheers!

John.